Saturday, April 4, 2015

Little Kids' Craft: Marble-Painted Egg Decorations

This week, the 2-year-old I sit for and I painted egg decorations to put up around her house.
She has been enjoying rolling marbles around a lot lately, so this seemed like a great way to show her a new painting technique.



These were easy to create from recycled materials. I traced some plates - little on top of big - to draw an egg shape on a paper grocery bag, then used that as a template to cut out more. (You can still see writing on the reverse side of some of the eggs, but that's okay because we hung the eggs up anyway.)  We taped a paper egg into a washed-out pie tray that I saved from Pi day. I used trays that have lids because there are some mild allergy issues in the family, and I didn't want her touching the paint just in case. Plus, the lid made this a good quick activity with much less cleanup! I used acrylic paint, because I had it on hand, but tempera paints are much more kid-friendly.

Then, Miss Munchkin had fun using her counting skills to count out four marbles to add into the tray. She also used her color-identification skills tell me which colors she wanted for her eggs. She picked out 3 colors, I taped the lid onto the tray, and she was off, shaking away. This might be a fun activity to do to music, too!

We ended up painting two eggs with our choice of colors. Then, I decided to turn this into a color mixing activity. I had the Munchkin choose a primary color, I chose either another primary color, white, or black paint. When she shook up her paint tray, she had to identify the new color that would appear among the swirls of paint on her egg. You can see this effect most clearly in the egg above that mixed blue and yellow to make green. The red/blue mix would have worked better if I'd have used a darker blue. It's not pictured, but the red/white mixture worked well, as the contrast between the red and the pink was well defined.

Big Brother returned home from preschool and had a LOT of fun identifying the new colors that appeared on each painted egg, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment